rya    ~ Home ~ About Us ~ Contact Us ~    

Walking on water ?

Click for ----- 2017 News ----- 2018 News----2019 News-----2020 News

Welcome to the BRYC NEWS 2021

Top tips from Brad G with comliments from Duncan at NMYC . Click on the link below.

http://www.bgsailsanddesign.com/toptips.html

MARCH 2021

Hi Skippers,

Welcome to the latest edition of Mainsheet. Hope you have all been keeping busy and well. I have just had my first vaccination well ahead of time so I hope that many of you will also have had yours by now.

Following on from my communication as regards to the post of temporary commodore to which I only received one reply it would seem to make sense to leave this post vacant until we can call a proper EGM to select a new commodore. The first likely date for this will be hopefully early July.

As regards to the latest Covid-19 announcement re the road map out of restrictions, I am delighted to see a route that should allow us to return to the water by the end of March. At present I await conformation from the MYA as regards to actual dates but suffice to say, once I have conformation, I will advise you all accordingly.

Before we can get back on the water, there are a few things that need attention lakeside before we return and I wish to thank Vinnie for volunteering to take on these jobs for us. I am sure if he requires any help he will only need to ask nearer the time and people will come forward.

I have now drafted a sailing Schedule with a start date from the 31st March. The schedule will be a little different as from previous years but hopefully restrictions permitting all club trophies will be raced for, be it some on a reduced number of rounds plus, I have added a third series to the IOM Wednesday calendar. As for the 6Meters I intend to run the "Whitbread Trophy Series" as a block of 6 race days both on Wednesdays and Sundays during the period set aside for the weedy season, conditions allowing. These dates could be subject to change due to as and when the weed arrives. Also, I have moved the venue for the 6M "Shearwater Trophy" on the 9th May across to Norwich, as we will still not have any facilities available to us at Filby. Please support this club event, even though it is being sailed at Norwich. No club racing will be held that day at Filby.

Last but not least we held a short club Zoom meeting on Wednesday 24th which was attended by 6 members and the general feeling of those who took part was that we should arrange one more before we return to the water. So, with this in mind I will arrange the second BRYC Zoom meeting for Wednesday 17th March again at 10am. Please let me know if you wish to attend.

That's about it for now but hope to be able to circulate the clubs sailing schedule to you all sometime early in March. In the meantime, with the return to water looking likely soon, maybe now is the time to dig your boats out and check all is working and not leave it to the last moment.

Nigel

FEBURARY 2021

Firstly, I would like to start this latest offering by saying that I hope you and yours are all keeping well in these difficult times. By now I am sure that some of you have had your vaccinations and hopefully a few more of us should receive ours by the end of February.

Unfortunately, not much to say this time round as we entered 2021 under a tier 4 lockdown which was then quickly replaced by a total lockdown on the 5th January which put a kibosh on any hope of sailing during the early part of the year.

After a very wet Christmas period we did manage to get a small work party of Mike, Vinnie, Derek, Gareth and myself down to the club on the Wednesday between Christmas and the New Year to lift the club boat ashore. Thanks team, because if we had left it any longer the boat would have filled up with rain water. A cover has now been purchased which hopefully should reduce the amount of rain water that gets into the boat when left standing for any length of time and will be fitted once the boat can be refloated. It may need some adjustment but I am sure that will not be a problem.

Following a discussion between ourselves and our friends at Norwich we have decided to switch venues for this year 6M Shearwater Trophy away from Filby to Norwich for 2021. The date chosen is Sunday the 9th May. The reasoning for the switch was twofold, firstly with COVID-19 the chances of the restaurant at Filby being fully operational by then is low and secondly with Norwich holding the 6M nationals later on in the year it would give potential competitors from outside the area coming to the Nationals a chance to sail on the waters prior to the Nationals and also giving the Norwich race team a practice event as regards to 6M.

As regards to commencement of sailing for this year, there is not much that can be done until Covid-19 restrictions are lifted and we see what is left of the year before compiling a race calendar of sorts.

So as arms are duly vaccinated, our lives are newly injected with a fresh sense of optimism for a sunlit spring with plenty of sailing opportunities ahead....................................( beautifully expressed )

Nigel

 

Click here for ......Americas Cup Live

 

 

************ All sailing is cancelled until further notice ************

Hopefully the 2021 schedule may be able to start on Wednesday the 3rd of March all being well. Cheers, Nigel 

 

 

 

Back to top